Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Brexit Vote

Tomorrow, the UK is voting to leave or stay in the European Union.  This has been on the table since last summer when the Prime Minister agreed to hold a referendum about EU membership.  I bet he wishes he had never agreed to that when he was trying to get re-elected.  It is quite the gamble. Polls are showing that there is as much support for leaving as there is for staying.  

It is interesting to see how the different sides tend to align themselves very much like our own country.  The "Vote Leave" folks tends to be made up of older voters and, as in our own country, most are a a xenophobic group, if not down right racist.  They feel that immigrants are taking over their country and want to go back to "whiter" days.  The "Vote Stay" group is made up of progressives. Most are under 40 and have never known a UK that was not part of the EU. They grew up with diversity. 

This has been the talk of the town I live in. I have been stopped at the town center several times by both sides. Good thing that as soon as they hear my accent and I confirm that I can't vote in their referendum, they end their sales pitch. But I do enjoy listening to their take on what is happening or will happen.  Because, you know.  We all know what happens when you speculate - Much A Do About Nothing.

Battle lines have been drawn across the country, neighbors against neighbors. I can drive down a road and see the flags or signs to vote one way or another. At times, it has gotten nasty.  Both sides have been using fear tactics - fear of what could happen if they stay or if they leave.  Things took a tragic turn last week when with the murder of a 42 year old pro-stay Labour Party MP by a pro-leave radical. Both sides suspended campaigning.

Recently, I had a pleasant conversation with my stylist about the differences and similarities between our countries.  He is a young twenty something who told me he is voting to stay in the EU.  He made a very good point about how this was more about the burden of immigration on their system of welfare.  We have similar issues with our own benefit system in the US, but not on as large a scale since our welfare system is limited.  

Did you know that if you are a refugee or immigrant, you are given free housing, free healthcare, and welfare?  He said people can stay on these benefits for a long time and everyone is eligible.  This is why we also get to use the NHS for healthcare - it is open to everyone.  In the US, immigrants do not automatically get benefits until they become permanent residents. And even then, it is need based. They have to show that they are working on gainful employment in order to get it or must prove that they are disabled and unable to work.  Here, it is automatic. Take the ease of benefits and the strong pound sterling and its no wonder people are flocking to cross the English Channel.

Take the NHS. The few times I have sought care through the NHS I have noticed that 1) they have very good health care and 2) their wait times are very long. I was told that if I wanted to have my shoulder surgery via NHS, I may have to wait 2-3 years to be seen and get that scheduled.  Don't know if that is accurate, but I do notice that to get the kind of care I am accustomed to, I have to go private pay.  

Earlier this week, I met with a retiree who keeps Tigger while we are on holiday.  She asked me my thoughts and I told her I couldn't vote. She told me that she just doesn't know.  She said she feels it is her son's generation who should be required to vote while her generation abstains because this will affect his generation more than hers.  

I have spoken to other older adults here who tell me that people are just coming over here to take advantage of their welfare system.  Sound familiar? It makes you think that if that is the problem why not reform the system rather than vote to leave?

I think they will vote to stay just like the Scots voted to stay within the UK. Human beings do not like the unknown and leaving is a big unknown. It is exciting to be here during such an important vote. One thing is certain: it is going to be a nail biter.

All seriousness aside, take a look at John Oliver's take on Brexit.  He can weigh in.  He's British. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment