Sunday, September 13, 2015

Things that don't cease and crease

I am pretty sure I spent three years of my life in Vienna doing laundry incorrectly. 

So we arrive in England and I am thrilled to see timed washes like a 30 minute quick load and an hour daily load. This made me happy until last week when I had to wash all the kids uniforms.

For one, clothing labels here give you temperature readings for what temperature you should wash something. In Celsius. Fair enough since this is not new to me and the temp is 40* for most items. But, the uniforms have special instructions like "do not use fabric softener" or "tumble dry at low heat" or not at all. The first one is easy, but that second one is tough. You see dryers in Europe have instructions that look like this:


Does it say "low heat" anywhere? WTF is bone dry and cupboard dry? In Vienna, it was the same but it was German and laundry would take 8 hours to finish because even on the extra dry setting, it would not be dry. I just want plain dry. 

I hate laundry (and most things domestic) because they never cease. No matter how much laundry you do, there is more waiting hours later.  Now, I am being forced to break my (bad) procrastination habit of leaving laundry in the dryer because ironing school shirts is worse than folding laundry. So I wait for the beep and run to hang them up ASAP. 

Then, we have the kilt and trousers which are wool so you can wash them but can't dry them in a dryer. Wool finish doesn't dry them but makes you feel better because you tried. 

Yesterday, I washed the boy's trousers (not pants because that means underwear here - although I did wash those too) and hung them on my laundry tripod. Tonight, I go to gather uniforms so he can take them upstairs and they were still damp almost 24 hours later. 

They are hanging on the radiator now and will be forever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment